Cougars Defeat New Mexico State 5-2
PROVO -- The BYU men's tennis team picked up its first home win of the season on Friday by beating New Mexico State 5-2.
The Cougars were able to claim the doubles point by winning at all three positions. No. 7 ranked Carlos Lozano and Erik Nyman were able to beat Mark Roberts and Luis Avila 8-4 at the No. 1 doubles spot.
"It was great to finally win that doubles point tonight," said BYU head coach Jim Osborne. "We have struggled a little in doubles this year, but the guys came through big time, especially our No. 3 doubles team."
In singles, BYU won four of the six matches to clinch the victory over the Aggies of NMSU. Junior Erik Nyman led the Cougars at the No. 2 spot by beating Ben Archer-Clowes 6-2, 6-2.
"New Mexico State is a real scrappy team," Osborne said. "The played us tough but we were able to get the win. This was a great tune-up match for us to get ready for Oregon tomorrow."
The Cougars will play Oregon on Saturday at 4 p.m. in Provo.
No. 64 BYU def. New Mexico State, Final Score 5-2
1. No. 7 Lozano/Nyman (BYU) def. Roberts/Avila (NMS) 8-4
2. Lechuga/Rudjuk (BYU) def. Even/Archer-Clowes (NMS) 8-5
3. Olsen/Medina (BYU) def. Baungartner/Zivanovic (NMS) 8-3
1. Mark Roberts (NMS) def. No. 106 Carlos Lozano (BYU) 6-4, 6-7, 7-6
2. Erik Nyman (BYU) def. Ben Archer-Clowes (NMS) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jose Lechuga (BYU) def. Luis Avila (NMS) 6-2, 6-3
4. Danila Zivanovic (NMS) def. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) 7-6, 2-6, 6-2
5. Alonzo Medina (BYU) def. Dan Even (NMS) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Jeff Olsen (BYU) def. Simon Baungartner (NMS) 6-1, 7-5
Wally Thayne has been named No. 12 in the Mountain Regional singles rankings for his 2022-23 season performance, the…