Cougars set for WCC tournament
SAN DIEGO – The opening round of the 2023 WCC Men’s Tennis Tournament gets underway on Thursday, April 27, at 1:00 p.m. PDT at the Aztec Tennis Center in San Diego, California. Fifth-seeded BYU plays fourth-seeded Portland for a chance to advance to Friday’s semifinal round.
- The Cougars finished the regular season with a 6-15 record, including 4-5 in West Coast Conference matches.
- BYU has qualified for the current edition of the WCC tournament five out of a possible six times.
- Since joining the WCC in 2011, BYU has four semifinal appearances and one championship match appearance in the conference’s annual postseason tournament.
- The Pilots finished the regular season with an 11-9 record, including 5-4 in WCC matches.
- No. 1 singles player Sema Pankin leads the team with a 23-9 record. The fifth-year senior is ranked No. 101 nationally in singles.
- Portland last won the WCC in 2017 after taking home the regular season title.
- Series Record: BYU leads 12-3
- Last Meeting: Portland won 4-0 on March 25, 2023, in Portland, Oregon
The winner of Thursday’s match advances to face No. 30 San Diego, the tournament’s top seed, at 1:30 p.m. PDT Friday.
San Diego Notes
- The Toreros finished the regular season with a 16-6 record, including 8-1 in WCC matches with their lone loss was to BYU.
- Including this year’s regular season championship, San Diego has won seven of the last eight regular season titles and the previous seven WCC tournaments. USD’s last WCC tournament loss came in 2013 to BYU.
- Iiro Vasa is ranked No. 84 nationally in singles. He is 14-10 this season.
- Series Record: San Diego leads 21-18
- Last Meeting: BYU won 4-2 on April 1, 2023, in Provo, Utah
Wally Thayne has been named No. 12 in the Mountain Regional singles rankings for his 2022-23 season performance, the…