BYU hosts Pacific in regular season finale
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s tennis welcomes the Pacific Tigers to the Indoor Tennis Courts this Friday, April 21, at 11:00 a.m. MDT. The Cougars are looking for a win in the final regular season match of the season to keep their West Coast Conference tournament hopes alive.
Attendance is free. Driving and parking directions are available HERE.
The top six teams in the WCC standings will qualify for the conference tournament, held next Thursday-Saturday in San Diego. BYU needs a win versus Pacific and favorable results from other matches this weekend to finish in the top six.
BYU (3-5 WCC), Gonzaga (3-5), Loyola Marymount (3-4) and Saint Mary’s (4-4) are the four teams hoping to earn the final two spots in the WCC tournament. Twelve possible outcomes could occur in the standings following a BYU win, with the Cougars finishing in the top six in half of them. If Saint Mary’s loses its lone remaining game, the Cougars would advance to the postseason in five out of the six ensuing scenarios.
- The Cougars are 5-15 this season, including 5-4 at home.
- BYU has already guaranteed a .500 or better record at home in 2023, a feat the Cougars have reached every season since at least 2000.
- While this Friday is the final home match of the season, there will be no Senior Day festivities as all eight of the team’s players are returning next year.
- The Tigers are 5-14 this season, including 1-9 on the road.
- Freshman Terence Das has the team’s best record in 2023, going 8-4 in dual matches and 6-2 at No. 3 singles.
- Head coach Robin Goodman is in his second season.
- Series Record: BYU leads 10-6
- Last Meeting: Pacific won 4-0 on April 22, 2022, in Stockton, California
BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe has announced Zack Warren as BYU head men’s tennis coach.