BYU visits California for two pivotal WCC matches
LOS ANGELES – BYU men’s tennis will travel to Southern California this weekend for a pair of West Coast Conference matches at Loyola Marymount and No. 35 Pepperdine. Friday’s match at the LMU Tennis Center begins at 10:00 a.m. PDT, while Saturday’s contest from Pepperdine’s Ralphs-Strauss Tennis Center starts at 1:00 p.m. PDT.
The Cougars and LMU are part of a five-way tie for fourth place in the WCC standings. The top six teams will qualify for the WCC Tournament in San Diego, California, that begins in two weeks. Pepperdine sits atop the WCC as the only school unbeaten in conference play.
- The Cougars are 5-13 this season, including 3-3 in WCC play.
- Pepperdine will be the sixth ranked team BYU plays this season, with three others also in this week’s rankings after being unranked when playing the Cougars.
- BYU has all-time winning records against seven of the nine other WCC schools, a number LMU is hoping to change as the Cougars lead the series with the Lions by just one win.
- Earlier this season BYU snapped San Diego’s 16-match WCC win streak and now seeks to end Pepperdine’s record of 13-straight WCC wins at home.
- The Lions are 9-8 this season, including 2-3 in WCC play.
- Sophomore Arthur Pantino and senior Emin Torlic are both 9-3 in dual matches.
- Head coach Tom Lloyd is in his 10th season with LMU.
- Series Record: BYU leads 8-7
- Last Meeting: LMU won 4-0 on April 16, 2022, in Provo
- The Waves are 13-7 this season, including 5-0 in WCC play. They have won seven-straight matches and hold a 7-1 home record in 2023.
- Fifth-year seniors Daniel De Jonge and Tim Zeitvogel are ranked No. 49 nationally in doubles. De Jonge is ranked No. 63 in singles, while Zeitvogel is No. 103.
- Head coach Adam Schaechterle is in his fifth season with Pepperdine. He has a 69-35 record with the Waves.
- Series Record: Pepperdine leads 19-2
- Last Meeting: Pepperdine won 4-1 on April 14, 2022, in Provo
BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe has announced Zack Warren as BYU head men’s tennis coach.