Cougars to host two ranked foes in Provo
PROVO, Utah – The men’s tennis team will welcome two nationally ranked programs to the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts this weekend in No. 20 Stanford and No. 27 San Diego.
Thursday’s match versus Stanford will be the final non-conference match of the season and begins at 11:00 a.m. MDT. Saturday’s contest against San Diego marks BYU’s fourth West Coast Conference match in 2023 and gets underway at 12:00 p.m. MDT.
- The Cougars have a 3-11 record, including 1-2 in WCC matches.
- The two home matches mark a return to Provo for the first time in six weeks after eight-straight road contests. That stretch was the team’s longest since 2006.
- This year’s non-conference schedule featured opponents from seven different conferences.
- The Cardinal are 10-5 in 2023. Their trip to Provo is only their second true road match of the season.
- Stanford has four nationally ranked singles players: Nishesh Basavareddy (No. 5), Arthur Fery (No. 7), Max Basing (No. 9) and Samir Banerjee (No. 59).
- Basavareddy and Fery are also ranked together in doubles (No. 22).
- Series Record: Stanford leads 22-2
- Last Meeting: Stanford won 4-3 on Jan. 21, 2017, in Palo Alto, California
San Diego Notes
- The Toreros are 13-5 this season and 5-0 in WCC play.
- Sophomore Iiro Vasa is ranked No. 69 in singles.
- USD has finished first in the WCC in seven of the last eight completed seasons.
- Series Record: San Diego leads 21-17
- Last Meeting: San Diego won 4-0 on April 2, 2022, in San Diego
Wally Thayne has been named No. 12 in the Mountain Regional singles rankings for his 2022-23 season performance, the…