BYU visits South Texas for two matches
EDINBURG, Texas – BYU men’s tennis will play its first dual matches in Texas since 2013 this weekend when the Cougars (3-4, 1-0 WCC) visit Texas Rio Grande Valley on Friday and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Saturday.
Friday’s match begins at 1:00 p.m. CST. Live scores can be viewed HERE, and a live stream can be viewed HERE. Saturday’s contest starts at 11:00 a.m. CST. Live scores for that match can be viewed HERE.
- Junior Dominik Jakovljevic has won four-straight matches while appearing in three different spots in the lineup.
- Sophomore Zach Fuchs was born in Texas. He and junior Brigham Andrus are undefeated at No. 1 doubles since starting that partnership three matches ago.
- BYU faced multiple players from A&M-Corpus Christi at the Rice Fall Challenge in the fall. Fuchs and senior Mateo Vereau both picked up straight-set singles victories over Avery Zavala, who is 6-2 for the Islanders this year at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions.
- The Vaqueros are 4-8 this season, including 2-2 at home. Their most recent match was a 6-1 loss at TAMUCC last Saturday.
- Six of UTRGV’s eight players are underclassmen.
- Head coach Nathan Robinson is in his second season.
- First-ever meeting
A&M-Corpus Christi Notes
- The Islanders are 7-3 in 2023. Two of those losses were to Louisiana, which is currently ranked No. 55 in the ITA Collegiate Tennis Rankings.
- Ulysse Bertrand is a perfect 6-0 in dual matches this season as the team’s No. 5 singles player.
- Head coach Steve Moore is in his 20th season. He started the TAMUCC program in 1998 and has been the coach from 1998-2001 and 2006-present.
- Series Record: BYU leads 6-3
- Last Meeting: Texas A&M-Corpus Christi won 4-1 on March 1, 2013, in Corpus Christi
BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe has announced Zack Warren as BYU head men’s tennis coach.