Men’s tennis kicks off alumni weekend with Friday match against Cal Poly
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s tennis welcomes Cal Poly to the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts at 11:00 a.m. MST on Friday. The Cougars (1-0) opened the season two weeks ago with a 6-1 victory over Idaho State.
Attendance is free. The match also kicks off BYU’s alumni weekend, with events taking place Friday and Saturday.
- The season-opening win over Idaho State featured victories in five of the six singles spots. The Cougars also won two doubles matches to secure the doubles point, with No. 1 doubles going unfinished.
- Sophomore Wally Thayne led the way at No. 1 singles, earning a comfortable 6-2, 6-3 victory.
- Freshman Redd Owen won 10 of the final 13 games at No. 5 singles, erasing a 2-5 deficit in set one to take a 7-6 (6), 6-2 victory in his first career dual match.
Cal Poly Notes
- The Mustangs are 0-2 after losses to No. 4 Michigan and Arkansas last weekend at the ITA Kickoff Weekend.
- Seven players return from a team that finished 2022 ranked No. 63 in the ITA Collegiate Tennis Rankings. Cal Poly is led by junior Noah Berry, who is currently ranked No. 55 in singles.
- Head coach Nick Carless is in his 11th season at his alma mater.
- Series Record: Cal Poly leads 3-2
- Last Meeting: Cal Poly won 4-0 on March 5, 2022, in San Luis Obispo, California
Wally Thayne has been named No. 12 in the Mountain Regional singles rankings for his 2022-23 season performance, the…