Cougars fall in WCC Tournament
SAN DIEGO – BYU men’s tennis fell 4-0 to No. 42 Pepperdine in the quarterfinals of the West Coast Conference tournament Thursday to close out its season.
The Waves (16-8) controlled the match from start to finish and only gave up one set to the Cougars (10-18). That set came at No. 3 doubles where David Ball and Aidan Carrazedo kept BYU in the doubles point with an 8-5 win over Tom Hill and Kento Tamaki after Francis Sargeant and Juan Canales fell at No. 2 doubles 8-4. Pepperdine closed out the point at No. 1 when the All-WCC duo Guilherme Hadlich and Rakshay Thakkar beat Jacob Sullivan and Shane Monroe 8-6.
The Waves rode the momentum to three quick victories in singles to seal the win and move on to the semifinals. Pedro Iamachkine outplayed Canales in their matchup, winning 6-0, 7-6 (7-4) and Thakkar took care of Monroe at No. 2 singles (6-4, 6-3) to bring Pepperdine within a point of clinching the match.
Luca Marquard sealed the deal at No. 5 singles with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Carrazedo. The victory moves the Waves into the semifinals and ended the season for the Cougars.
BYU vs Pepperdine
Apr 23, 2015 at San Diego, Calif.
(Barnes Tennis Center)
#42 Pepperdine 4, BYU 0
1. Guilherme Hadlich (PEP) vs. SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) 6-3, 6-5, unfinished
2. Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) def. MONROE, Shane (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Stefan Menichella (PEP) vs. SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
4. Pedro Iamachkine (PEP) def. CANALES, Juan (BYU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Luca Marquard (PEP) def. CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Lautaro Pane (PEP) vs. BALL, David (BYU) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
1. Guilherme Hadlich/Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) def. SULLIVAN, Jacob/MONROE, Shane (BYU) 8-6
2. Pedro Iamachkine/Lautaro Pane (PEP) def. SARGEANT, Francis/CANALES, Juan (BYU) 8-4
3. BALL, David/CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) def. Tom Hill/Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (PEP) 8-5
Pepperdine 16-8; National ranking #42
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,2,5)
BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe has announced Zack Warren as BYU head men’s tennis coach.