Cougars Stay Perfect at Tournament
CAMBRIDGE -- Three more matches brought three more wins for the No. 62 BYU men’s tennis team this weekend. The Cougars ended the last day of the Harvard Kick-Off Tournament soundly defeating DePaul 6-0.
The doubles point was up for grabs after BYU took the pairs match at the No. 3 spot and DePaul earned the win at the No. 1 position. The contest between Evan Urbina and Spencer Smith and their Blue Demon challengers was tight. Eventually, the BYU tandem edged past their opponents in a tiebreak and clinched the first point of the day for the Cougars.
Thomas Shubert led BYU in singles with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Matija Palinic at the No. 1 spot. The Cougars continued to make quick work of DePaul, notching straight-set wins on courts three through six. Urbina, on court two, led Bartosz Jozwiak 6-4, 5-5 before the match was called.
BYU was slated to play No. 67 Mississippi State Saturday in doubles after having completed the singles play Friday. However, the Cougars already clinched the match by winning four of the six singles matches and doubles play between the teams was cancelled.
BYU will return to Provo Feb. 6 to take on UCSB.
1. Jozwiak/Hartman (DePaul) def. Shubert/Mears (BYU) 8-3
2. Urbina/Smith (BYU) def. Perrin/Graetz (DePaul) 9-8 (8)
3. Batrakov/Hwang (BYU) def. Palinic/Grgec (DePaul) 8-3
1. T. Shubert (BYU) def. M. Palinic (DePaul) 6-1, 6-2
2. E. Urbina (BYU) led B. Jozwiak (DePaul) 6-4, 5-5
3. C. Mears (BYU) def. B. Hartman (DePaul) 6-4, 6-3
4. G. Batrakov (BYU) def. A. Graetz (DePaul) 6-4, 6-2
5. R. Warias (BYU) def. M. Hambach (DePaul) 7-5, 7-6 (3)
6. S. Smith (BYU) def. D. Perrin (DePaul) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
1. T. Shubert (BYU) def. No. 42 G. Coupland (MSU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2. E. Urbina (BYU) def. No. 125 A. Ilyushin (MSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. L. Cant (MSU) def. C. Mears (BYU) 7-6 (3), 6-1
4. A. Lastre (MSU) def. G. Batrakov (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
5. R. Warias (BYU) def. C. Doerr (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. S. Smith (BYU) def. H. Hakeem (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
Men's Tennis Heads to Harvard
PROVO -- With two wins under its belt, the No. 62 BYU men’s tennis team will hit the road this week to participate in the Harvard Kick-Off Tournament in Cambridge, Mass. The two-day tourney will feature No. 61 Harvard, DePaul and No. 67 Mississippi State.
“This weekend will be a good test to see where we’re at,” BYU coach Brad Pearce said.
Play for the Cougars begins Friday against the host team. The Crimson spent last week at the Virginia Tech Tournament where the players combined to pick up 16 wins. BYU and Harvard have met only once before with the Cougars taking the match.
Later that day, the squad will take on MSU in singles. The doubles portion of that match will follow Saturday. The Bulldogs have two singles players ranked in the ITA polls with George Coupland coming in at No. 42 and Artem Ilyushin grabbing the No. 125 spot. State began the season with a close 4-3 loss to Ole Miss last week. The match will mark the first meeting between the Bulldogs and the Cougars.
Saturday brings the 3-0 Blue Demons of DePaul. The team kicked off the spring facing in-state opponents UIC, University of Chicago and Northern Illinois. In those matches, the Blue Demons racked up one sweep and two 6-1 victories. BYU has played DePaul only once, a 4-2 win at last year’s HEB Invitational in Texas.
“We play three talented teams and we hope to come back 3-0,” Pearce said.
BYU will open tournament play Friday at noon ET at the Murr Center.