Outdoor Tennis Courts
150 E Provo UT 84602
BYU Men's Tennis falls to Gonzaga at home
PROVO, Utah – In a close battle, BYU men’s tennis fell 4-1 to Gonzaga on Friday at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
“I am proud of the way we played today,” said head coach Dave Porter. “We came out with another number one player out and almost got the doubles point. Our team played strong and hard. We came out in singles, had a chance and were very close when the match ended. Gonzaga is a good team, and today they deserved the win. We are going to try to heal up and be ready to play Utah State tomorrow. Come join us at noon.”
The Cougars fought hard in doubles play going to 5-5 in all three matches. Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau finished first winning 7-5 over their Bulldog opponents. At No. 2 doubles, Alex Lin and Otto Schreiner kept the match close, eventually falling 5-7. BYU lost at No. 3 doubles in a tiebreak to give Gonzaga the first point.
In singles play, senior Leite and junior Vereau came out strong, both with 6-2 wins in the first set. Vereau dominated at No. 2 singles with another 6-2 win in the second set to give BYU their first point. Otto Schreiner fell 6-1 in his first set, but fought back in the second, eventually falling 6-3 to give Gonzaga their second point. With BYU down 1-2, Dominik Jakovljevic and Alex Lin fought hard for BYU, eventually falling to their Gonzaga opponents to secure the 4-1 win for the Bulldogs. Both Tennyson Whiting and Leite were beginning their third sets at the matches completion.
Cougars men’s tennis will play home again tomorrow facing the Utah State Aggies. The match is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. MDT at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
Gonzaga 4, Brigham Young University 1
- Matheus Leite (BYU) vs. Sasha Trkulja (GU) 6-2, 5-7, 2-2
- Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Matthew Hollingworth (GU) 6-2, 6-2
- Oliver Andersson (GU) def. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
- Arthus Bassetiere (GU) def. Otto Schreiner (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
- Tom Hann (GU) def. Alex Lin (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
- Tennyson Whiting (BYU) vs. Leon Roider (GU) 7-5, 4-6
- Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Sasha Trkulja and Matthew Hollingworth (GU) 7-5
- Leon Roider and Tom Hann (GU) def. Otto Schreiner and Alex Lin (BYU) 7-5
- Pablo Gomez Galvan and Arthus Bassetiere (GU) def. Dominik Jakovljevic and Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 7-6 (4)
Order of finish: Singles -- 2 4 3 5 ; Doubles -- 1 2 3 Start Time: 12 p.m.
BYU Men's Tennis to play Gonzaga and Utah State at home
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s tennis will be home again this week, hosting Gonzaga on Friday, March 25 and Utah State on Saturday, March 26. Both matches are scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. MDT at the Outdoor Tennis Courts.
BYU Notes: (6-5)
- The Cougars are 6-5 this season after two at home wins this last weekend against University of Idaho (4-2) and University of Portland (4-2).
- Men’s tennis also suffered two away losses against UC Santa Barbara (4-0) and Cal Poly (4-0).
- BYU came out with two on the road wins against University of Nevada (4-3) and UC Davis (4-1).
- BYU has also lost to Boise State in a close 4-3 match and to New Mexico (3-2).
- Men’s tennis came out on top of the Weber State Wildcats and Grand Canyon Antelopes, winning both matches by a score of 6-1.
- BYU kicked off its 2021-22 season at the Hawai’i Invitational on Jan. 6-8. The Cougars were 8-1 in doubles and 9-12 in singles for an overall record of 17 wins and 13 losses.
Head Coach- Dave Porter
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1975
- Division 1 Coaching Record: 20-10 (2nd Season)
- Record at BYU: Same
- Overall collegiate coaching record: 1,430-198
BYU Singles Record
Brigham Andrus (1-2)
Jack Barnett (1-3)
Zach Fuchs (3-1)
Matheus Ferreira Leite (4-6)
Dominik Jakovljevic (3-1)
Wally Thayne (4-3)
Mateo Vereau (4-3)
Tennyson Whiting (0-1)
Alex Lin (2-2)
Otto Schreiner (3-0)
BYU Doubles Record
Brigham Andrus & Matheus Ferreira Leite (3-1)
Zach Fuchs & Wally Thayne (1-1)
Mateo Vereau & Wally Thayne (1-1)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Mateo Vereau, (1-0)
Jack Barnett & Tennyson Whiting (4-2)
Jack Barnett & Wally Thayne (1-0)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Alex Lin (1-0)
Mateo Vereau & Matheus Leite (3-3)
Gonzaga Notes (WCC): (11-3)
- The Bulldogs are 11-3 this season after two wins last weekend against Montana (4-0) and Boise State (4-0).
- Gonzaga has also come out on top of Seattle (4-0), Nevada (4-0), Montana State (4-0), Utah State (4-3), Idaho (6-1), San Diego State (4-3), Boston College (7-0) and UC Riverside (6-1).
- The Bulldogs have taken losses from Utah (1-4), San Diego (0-4) and Denver (3-4).
- Gonzaga is 0-1 in the WCC.
- BYU leads the series against Gonzaga 7-2.
Head Coach- D.J. Gurule
- Alma Mater: Pacific Luthern University
- This is Gurule’s 15th season at Gonzaga
Gonzaga Match Information – Friday, March 25
- Time: 12 p.m. MDT
- Live Stats
Utah State Notes: (6-8)
- The Aggies are 6-8 this season after a home loss last weekend to Portland (3-4).
- Utah State has also lost to Washington (0-7), Gonzaga (3-4), Drake (3-4), UC Santa Barbara (0-4), Rice (3-4) and Loyola Marymount (3-4).
- The Aggies came out on top of Portland State (7-0) and Montana State (6-1) this season.
- BYU leads the series against Utah State 51-4.
Head Coach- Aaron Paajanen
- Alma Mater: Point Loma Nazarene
- Record at Utah State: 12-8 (Season 4)
Utah State Match Information– Saturday, March 26
- Time: 12 p.m. MDT
- Live Stats