Timothy Korth Tennis Complex
Moraga CA 94556
Men's tennis loses 4-1 to Saint Mary's on the road
MORAGA, Calif. – In their last match of the season, BYU men’s tennis fell 4-1 to Saint Mary’s at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex on Saturday.
Coming out strong, Jack Barnett and Dominik and Jakovljevic dominated at No. 1 doubles with a 6-0 win for the Cougars. At No. 1 doubles, Wally Thayne and Tennyson Whiting fought hard and eventually earned the 6-4 win over James Watt and Boris Reckow to secure the first point for BYU.
Saint Mary’s fought back, earning a point at No. 3 singles to tie the score. At No. 1 singles, Thayne fell in his first set only to come back in the second 6-3. With another tight match at No. 5 singles, Otto Schreiner also fell in his first set but took the win in the second 6-4 over Thibaud Maxant. Saint Mary’s continued to be a tough competitor, earning a win by Watt at No. 2 singles. Dominik Jakovljevic battled hard at No. 4 singles, taking his opponent to 5-5 in the first set. Jakovljevic eventually fell 7-5, 6-3 to Carlos Ramos to give Saint Mary’s their third point.
In a split set match, Thayne continued to fight for the Cougars, but eventually fell in the third set 6-4 to secure the 4-1 win for the Gaels.
Saint Mary's 4, Brigham Young University 1
- Mathis Moysan (SMC) def. Wally Thayne (BYU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
- James Watt (SMC) def. Matheus Ferreira Lei (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
- Caelan Potts (SMC) def. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
- Carlos Ramos (SMC) def. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
- Thibaud Maxant (SMC) vs. Otto Schreiner (BYU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0, unfinished
- Diego Jarry (SMC) vs. Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 5-7, 5-3, unfinished
- Wally Thayne/Tennyson Whiting (BYU) def. James Watt/Boris Reckow (SMC) 6-4
- Jack Barnett/Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) def. Mathis Moysan/Carlos Ramos (SMC) 6-0
- Caelan Potts/Felipe Rincon (SMC) def. Otto Schreiner/Alex Lin (BYU) 5-4
Brigham Young University 8-13 (1-8) Saint Mary's 6-14 (4-5)
Doubles order of finish: 2,1
Singles order of finish 3,2,4,1
BYU to face Pacific and Saint Mary's in last two conference matches
PROVO, Utah – BYU Men’s tennis will travel to California for their last two conference matches of the season against Pacific and Saint Mary’s. The Pacific match will be Friday, April 22 at 2 p.m. PDT. The Saint Mary’s match will be Saturday, April 23 also at 2 p.m. PDT.
BYU Notes: (8-11)
- The Cougars are 8-11 this season after two losses at last weekend to Pepperdine (1-4) and Loyola Marymount (0-4).
- BYU has also taken losses from Boise State (3-4), New Mexico (0-4), UC Santa Barbara (0-4), Cal Poly (0-4), Gonzaga (1-4), San Diego (0-4), Santa Clara (1-4) and San Francisco (0-4).
- BYU had two home wins in a row against University of Idaho (4-2) and University of Portland (4-2).
- The Cougars have also come out on top of Weber State (6-1), Grand Canyon (6-1), Nevada (4-3), UC Davis (4-1) and Utah State (4-3).
- BYU is 1-4 in West Coast Conference play.
- `BYU kicked off its 2021-22 season at the Hawai’i Invitational on Jan. 6-8. The Cougars were 8-1 in doubles and 9-12 in singles for an overall record of 17 wins and 13 losses.
Head Coach- Dave Porter
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1975
- Division 1 Coaching Record: 22-14 (2nd Season)
- Record at BYU: Same
- Overall collegiate coaching record: 1,432-204
BYU Singles Record
Brigham Andrus (1-2)
Jack Barnett (1-3)
Zach Fuchs (3-1)
Matheus Ferreira Leite (5-8)
Dominik Jakovljevic (4-2)
Wally Thayne (4-5)
Mateo Vereau (4-3)
Tennyson Whiting (1-2)
Alex Lin (3-4)
Otto Schreiner (3-4)
BYU Doubles Record
Brigham Andrus & Matheus Ferreira Leite (3-1)
Zach Fuchs & Wally Thayne (1-1)
Mateo Vereau & Wally Thayne (1-1)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Mateo Vereau, (1-0)
Jack Barnett & Tennyson Whiting (4-2)
Jack Barnett & Wally Thayne (1-0)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Alex Lin (1-0)
Mateo Vereau & Matheus Leite (6-3)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Tennyson Whiting (0 & 1)
Otto Schreiner & Alex Lin (1 & 2)
University of Pacific Notes: (6-15)
- The Tigers are 13-5 this season after two losses last weekend to Portland (0-4) and Gonzaga (0-4).
- Pacific has also taken losses from Cal Poly (1-4), UC Santa Barbara (0-7), UC Irvine (2-5), Montana State (1-6), Boise State (3-4), Hawai’i (2-4), Nevada (1-4), Northern Arizona (3-4), Nevada (1-6), San Francisco (0-4), Santa Clara (1-4), Pepperdine (1-4) and Saint Mary’s (1-4).
- The Tigers have come out on top against USTA (4-1), UC Davis (5-2), Sacramento State (4-3), Idaho State (4-3), Loyola Marymount (4-2) and Riverside (4-3).
- BYU leads the series 8-3.
Head Coach- Robin Goodman
- Alma Mater: Drake University
- This is Goodman’s second season at Pacific.
Pacific Match Information – Friday, April 22
- Time: 2 p.m. PDT
- Live Stats
Saint Mary’s Notes: (5-14)
- The Gaels are 5-14 this season after two losses last weekend to Portland (2-4) and Gonzaga (1-4).
- Saint Mary’s has also taken losses from University pf California (2-5), UCLA (0-7), Cal Poly (2-5), UC Davis (1-6), Sacramento State (3-4), Stanford (1-6), University of Nevada (2-4), Hawai’i (1-4), Idaho State (2-4), Santa Clara (1-4), San Francisco (2-4) and Pepperdine (0-4).
- The Gaels came out on top against UC David (4-3), San Francisco (4-3), Yale (4-2), Loyola Marymount (4-1) and Pacific (4-1)
- BYU leads the series against Saint Mary’s 7-6.
Head Coach- Greg Kennett
- Alma Mater: Illinois
- This is Kennett’s seventh season at SMC.
Saint Mary’s Match Information– Saturday, April 23
- Time: 2 p.m. PDT
- Live Stats