BYU to take on St. Mary’s Thursday on the road
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball will face St. Mary’s (9-3, 0-1) on the road on Thursday, as both the Cougars and Gaels search for their first West Coast Conference victory. Both teams are 9-3 overall and 0-1 in conference play.
The game will be broadcast on ESPN2 at 8 p.m. PST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (9-3, 0-1 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 9-3, most recently falling to No. 1 Gonzaga last Thursday 86-69. It was BYU’s first game in two weeks after having three consecutive games postponed due to COVID issues in opposing programs.
- BYU has wins over Weber State, Texas Southern, No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The three losses were to USC, Boise State and Gonzaga.
- BYU is led by senior guard Alex Barcello who is averaging 16.3 points, 4.8 assists and 4.7 rebounds per game. Barcello is 30-for-50 from beyond the arc. The 60% clip is No. 1 in the nation among players who have shot 40+ threes.
- Senior forward Matt Haarms co-lead the Cougars in scoring against Gonzaga with 13 points. His 11.2 points per game are second on the team behind Barcello.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 109-67 (5th season)
- Record at BYU: 32-11 (2nd season)
St. Mary’s Notes (9-3, 0-1 West Coast Conference)
- St. Mary’s is 9-3, after losing to Santa Clara 85-62 in its most recent matchup last Saturday. It was the Gaels’ first game in 10 days after having their previous two matchups postponed.
- The Gaels have wins this season over Sacramento State, Colorado State, Eastern Washington, San Jose State, UTEP, Texas Southern, Nicholls, South Dakota State and Northern Iowa. Their losses have come to Santa Clara, San Diego State and Memphis.
- After dropping their season opener to Memphis, St. Mary’s put together an eight-game winning streak. They’ve now dropped two of their last three.
- The Gaels have four players averaging double digits in scoring — Tommy Kuhse (14.8), Logan Johnson (11.0), Alex Ducas (10.9), Matthias Tass (10.1).
Head Coach – Randy Bennett
- Alma Mater: UC San Diego, 1986
- Division I Career Record: 449-185 (20th Season)
- Record at St. Mary’s: 449-185 (20th Season)
- All-Time Series: St. Mary’s leads 16-15
- Last Meeting: St. Mary’s won 51-50, 3/9/2020 in WCC semifinals
- Saint Mary's has won its last six contests against BYU in Moraga. The last time the Cougars won inside UCU Pavilion was a 60-57 victory in 2014.
- TV: ESPN2
- TV Talent: Dave Feldman and Corey Williams
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
Fredette, Team USA win silver at FIBA 3x3 World Cup
2011 Naismith Award Winner Jimmer Fredette helped the United States win the silver medal at the 2023 FIBA 3x3 World Cup…
Jimmer Fredette set to represent United States at FIBA 3x3 World Cup
Former BYU men’s basketball star Jimmer Fredette will represent the United State of America at the FIBA 3x3 World Cup…